Co. Down is a fantastic place, we should know, it’s where our holiday parks are! But there are some things you might not know about County Down, and we’re here to impart some interesting facts about this lovely Northern Ireland locale…
- It’s 850 metres. It’s the 65,432nd highest mountain in the world. It’s Slieve Donard! Did you know that three people have climbed Slieve Donard, which is the highest mountain in Northern Ireland – but no one knows the identity of them?!
- County Down is the only county in Northern Ireland with almost three cities. Parts of Belfast, parts of Lisburn and all of Newry are located within the boundaries of County Down.
- The town of Moira in County Down is named after newsreader Moira Stewart! She’s such a popular figure that they decided she was worthy of having a town named after her. How sweet.
- Every year, Hillsborough, Holywood and Bangor compete in a special ‘Posh Town’s Challenge’ to see which is the poshest town. Drinking Prosecco while Riding a Horse, Name Dropping and Lobster Wrestling are just some of the designated events they compete in. Fancy!
- Co. Down may be the birthplace of the tractor! Local man Harry Ferguson is often credited with inventing the tractor – not sure if that’s a popular invention with anyone other than farmers but hey.
- An area of County Down is known as the Brontë Homeland, after Patrick Brontë, father of Anne, Charlotte, Emily and Branwell. He was born here and even had a church!
- County Down is a popular filming location for television shows and films. A lot of Game of Thrones was filmed in the Mourne Mountains, the Mos Eisley Cantina in Star Wars was filmed in the Coach Inn, Banbridge and the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy was made in Rathfriland! Locals will know the famous water tower was even used as the Dark Tower of Sauron.
Think County Down is as thrilling and exciting as we do? We have a range of static caravans across our holiday parks in Northern Ireland where you could just find your perfect holiday home in the lovely, and interesting, Co. Down!